BFC Marine, as we are known today, was started in 1947 when Howard Kirkpatrick Sr. turned his hobby of racing boats into a marine business. Howard Sr. enjoyed the sport and won many trophies. Martin motors was the engine of choice
for Howard and he raced and serviced them until they went out of business
in 1953. A division of National Pressure Cooker Company, Martin had
many advances, some of which are still in use today by other engine
In 1955 we shared a co-dealership with Pierce Marine, based at the time in
Five Islands, for Evinrude outboards. By 1957, our numbers were enough to
establish a full line dealership on the Bath waterfront.
In the late 50's and 60's, Howard sold Corson boats made in Madison,
Maine, along with Starcraft aluminum boats from Indiana.
Howard Jr. (Howie) joined the business full time in the summer of 1969, and
our growth continued. In 1970 we constructed our first inside boat storage
building to house boats for our many customers. With a $20,000 price tag,
at the time it was a big step, but worth the expense which gave more service to our customers.
The 80's brought rapid growth with bigger and better products. In 1989 we
became a dealer for Seaswirl boats, made by master boat
builders with boats from 17' to 26'. That year we built out second inside
storage building in the Woolwich Industrial Park. At 100'x 120' it was a
great addition. By now the Bath property was becoming inadequate.
In 1990 Glen joined the family business and during the 90's spent much of
his time working at the Woolwich site on the bigger boats we could not get
in our Bath service area.
On a trip to the Annapolis Boat Shop in the fall of 1996, we were introduced
to the then "Logic" boats made of a plastic composite and baked in an oven.
These boats, now known as Triumph Boats, are unsinkable and very nearly
indestructible. The 17' center console became our best seller with well over
300 units sold to satisfied customers. In 1998 we were the largest dealer in
North America, and in 2007 we received an award from Triumph for 100%
customer satisfaction along with only a very few other dealers worldwide.
By 2000 more space was needed for our growing sales and storage business.
We built our 3rd inside storage building next to our second building on the
With plenty of boats to work on year round, more service and showroom space
was a necessity. In October 2006 we purchased the former Woolwich
Chevrolet location which happened to be next to our 2 storage buildings in
the Woolwich Industrial Park.
We now have 40,000 square feet of storage, service and inside sales space
located on 24 acres on Route 1 in Woolwich. With the expanded space, we
can now give our customers a larger, more diversified selection of boats,
adding Starcraft aluminum and fiberglass boats again after a 17 year
absence. We also have a larger selection of trailer styles, from boat to cargo
trailers, outside storage areas and consignment spaces.
Visit us at our new location and see all we have to offer.